Dayhard is a single player Half-Life 2 modification by the DayHard team, which serves as a comical prequel to Half-Life 2 in which the players control Gordon Freeman's brother Morgan Freeman. It was originally released in 2005, followed by patches and updates in 2012 to 2016 in order to accommodate the updated source engine.
The game follows Morgan Freeman - the brother of Half-Life protagonist Gordon Freeman. Unlike Gordon, Morgan isn't timid and is able to speak. One day when the Combine come knocking at his door Morgan finds himself on a fight for survival as he has to face many enemies and obstacles along the way, although he is aided by allies and friends alike.
- Morgan Freeman: the main player character and the protagonist.
- Jack Carver: Morgan's dumb best friend, who is based off the character of the same name from the Far Cry game franchise.
- Father Grigori: a character from the Half-Life 2 chapter "We Don't Go To Ravenholm". He aids the player through the second level of the game.
- The Boss: The boss is Wallace Breen - the primary antagonist of Half-Life 2. In this game he is in charge of the Combine and acts as the final boss.
- Englishman: The Boss' henchman who appears to be a high-ranking member of the civil protection.
The game contains a lot of gags and pop culture references, with such references and nods pertaining to Kill Bill, Grand Theft Auto, Far Cry, and much more. Although comedic, a horror chapter set in a hotel quickly changes the mood of the game for a short time, and includes references such as The Shining (the chapter is named Redrum) and The Ring.